D.C. Restaurant Visit - Zaytinya

Me in front of Zaytinya's
Tuesday evening after work I met my friend Darryl for dinner.  We went to Zaytinya's, which is a D.C. restaurant that touts itself as having "innovative Turkish, Greek, and Lebanese cuisine."  We had made reservations for 5:45 PM, but got there early and decided to sit in the bar for a while and have a glass of wine.  We liked the atmosphere so much, that we stayed to eat at the bar too!

Baba Ghannouge
We had both checked out the menu online before going, so we had a pretty good idea of what to expect.  Darryl had even printed out a copy of the menu and circled a few dishes that interested him!  The dishes are described as "mezzas" or small plates, that are meant to be shared, like tapas in a Spanish restaurant.  We started with the Baba Ghannouge, which is a spread made of fire-roasted eggplant, tahini, lemon, and garlic topped with pommagranite seeds.  It was served with a piping hot pita-type bread.  Oh my gosh, the flavors were like fireworks in your mouth!

Garides Me Anitho
My second favorite of the seven dishes we shared was the Garides Me Anitho, which was sauteed shrimp with dill, shallots, mustard, and lemon juice.  We had already dug into the shimp before I remembered to take a picture, as you can see!  Those were our two favorite dishes of the ones we tried.  We loved the place so much, we decided that we should make it a monthly treat to ourselves to visit. 

Wednesday night I also had dinner plans.  I met my friend Karen at the Athena Pallas Greek restaurant in Crystal City.  I've been anxious to find a place that has great dolmades, which are grape leaves stuffed with meat (beef, I think) and rice covered in a delicious sauce.  Their dolmades were good, but they didn't come close to the dolmades back at Mykonos Restaurant in Tarpon Springs.  Guess I'll just have to keep looking. 

Comments

Popular Posts