Judging a Book by Its Lover

I found Judging a Book by Its Lover: A Field Guide to the Hearts and Minds of Readers Everywhere by Lauren Leto a sometimes amusing read.  The book is a compilation of short essays lumped under the categories of For the Love of Print; Fan Fictions; How to Fake It; and Snark Bait.  I enjoyed the first half of the book better than the second, finding myself scanning pages more than reading as I got further along. 

I think one of my favorite essays was Petition to Change the Term from "Bookwork" to "Bookcat".  Here are several of the reasons Lauren thinks the name should be changed:

CATS ARE KNOWN FOR BEING LONERS.  Readers enjoy being utterly lost in their own world for hours.  A night is a godsend, not a bore.
CATS ARE LOW-MAINTENANCE.  The typical reader needs no sort of accessory other than possibly a pair of glasses and a bit of light.

Comments

Popular Posts