The Simple Dollar - Setting New Goals

Earlier this month I read a post on The Simple Dollar blog titled, "What's Next After Debt Freedom?"  The post really struck a chord with me and gave me a lot to think about.  Trent Hamm, the author, talked about how he and his wife Sarah have paid off all their bills and are now debt free.  No mortgage, no car payment, no credit card debt, emergency fund in place, saving for retirement, you name it, it's done.  He talks about what goals do you set after you reach this point.  I realized that a vast majority of the goals I set in the past are now no longer relevant, as they were related to the house I used to own.  I need to take some time and rewrite my goals to reflect my current situation, my new job, and the move I made from Florida to Virginia.

Some of my goals have definitely not changed.  I still hope to be in a position financially so when I become eligible to retire in June 2015, I can.  I am still planning a celebration trip to Australia and New Zealand in July of 2015.  I make charitable donations every month.  I'm making a concerted effort to spend more time with mom and Sid, especially now that I live so much closer.

I have my first "meeting" of the year with my financial advisor (and friend!) Julie in February.  It will be by phone this time since I no longer live in Tampa where she is.  I am sure we will talk about my goals and where I see myself going from here.  There were definitely some significant changes in my life within the last few months.  It's time to make sure I am on the track I want to be on, and am continuing to make forward progress.  At the office I have a small plaque with a quote from Will Rogers, "Even if you are on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there."  I want to make certain I'm not the one that gets run over!       

Comments

Popular Posts