Blogtoberfest 2012 - Day 16 - Worried about my mom

I was on my way home from work today and called my mom (using my bluetooth so I'd be handsfree, I promise).  The first thing she started to tell me is that she almost started a fire today.  She was cleaning in the kitchen and accidentally turned on the stove, which is gas.  She couldn't figure out how to turn it back off.  It really scares me for her to be at home by herself anymore.  She's been experiencing a progressive decline in her cognitive abilities and they are to the point where I am definitely worried about her when she's home alone.  Fortunately that isn't but for about 24 hours when my dad is at work.  But it's very scary to think about what might have happened.  She mentioned that she had been going to get a neighbor, but where they live is a bit isolated and who knows if any of the neighbors would have been at home.  And if they were at home, I'm not sure she would have been able to tell them what the problem was.  Fortunately, I think most if not all the people who live on her street know her.  I wish I lived closer so I could help more.  Even with having moved from Tampa to Arlington, I am still over a 6-hour drive away.  Sidney has talked to her on several occasions about having someone come in to visit her while he is a work.  She has been very resistant to the idea.  How do you tell someone you don't think they can take care of themselves anymore?  You don't want to hurt their feelings, but you also don't want them to get hurt.  I don't think there is any easy solution to the situation.     

Comments

Popular Posts