Wicked in London

Not that I was Wicked (not that I'd admit to, at least!), but I saw the musical at the Apollo Victoria theater my last night in London.  I have seen it twice in Florida, and I must admit, this production was my favorite.  I sat between a couple from South Africa and a couple from Portland, Oregon and their daughter, who now lives in England.  The daughter had seen the play before, the mom had read the book, and the dad was clueless!  I set the stage by telling him Wicked was the prequel to the Wizard of Oz.  It was a real pleasure chatting with them before, at intermission, and after.  I saw the play before I read the book, and it's a good thing I did.  Because I hated the book so much, I probably wouldn't have seen the play.  Fortunately, the play is pretty much nothing like the book other than the characters are the same.  By the time the musical was over, the mom was crying and hugging me, I think because I had assured her she would love the play and she did!  She had been rather leary of the play I think because we both found the book rather dark.  Whereas the musical is definitely more of a comedy and a love story (I don't want to give too much away if you haven't seen it and plan to!).  I bet if you do see it, you will never look at the Wizard of Oz quite the same!

One thing I found odd about the theater...at intermission they had vendors who sold ice cream in the aisles!  I was trying to figure out how people were eating the stuff and not having much luck.  Fortunately, the couple from South Africa sitting next to me bought some, and I was able to see the spoon type apparatus hidden in the lid!

Comments

Popular Posts