The Redbreast by Jo Nesbo

I have discovered a new author that I really like.  I don't remember exactly where I first read about author Jo Nesbo, a Norwegian author, but I sure am glad I did.  This weekend I read his book, The Redbreast, with protagonist Harry Hole, a police detective in Oslo.  He has written several books with the same character, but I think this is the first of his books printed in the U.S.  I can see why he won the Glass Key Award for Best Nordic Crime Novel, which is touted as "the most pretigious crime-writing novel award in Northern Europe" according to The Redbreast book jacket. 

I must admit I thought the book started out a little slow, and it took quite a bit of reading before I was really caught up in the story.  The book goes back and forth between events starting in 1999 and then all the way back to 1942.  I am definitely glad I hung in there though.  The same thing happened to me when I read Stieg Larsson's first book, The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo.  I think I got almost half way through the book, then couldn't put it down.  Nesbo has several other books that have been published in the U.S. now, and you can bet I'll be reading those too!

Comments

Popular Posts