Teaser Tuesday - The Night Manager

Teaser Tuesday is a weekly bookish meme, hosted by MizB of Books and a Beat. Anyone can play along! Just do the following:  
• Grab your current read
• Open to a random page
• Share two (2) “teaser” sentences from somewhere on that page
• BE CAREFUL NOT TO INCLUDE SPOILERS! (make sure that what you share doesn’t give too much away! You don’t want to ruin the book for others!)
• Share the title & author, too, so that other TT participants can add the book to their TBR Lists if they like your teasers.
My teaser for today isn't random like it typically is.  Instead I wanted to set the scene with the opening lines from the book:
"On a snow-swept January evening of 1991, Jonathan Pine, the English night manager of the Hotel Meister Palace in Zurich, forsook his office behind the reception desk and, in the grip of feelings he had not known before, took his position in the lobby as a prelude to extending his hotel's welcome to a distinguished late arrival. The Gulf war had just begun."

p. 3, "The Night Manager" by John le Carre
I'm hooked on the 6-part miniseries currently on AMC starring Tom Hiddleston (think Loki from Thor and The Avengers movies!).  After starting to watch the series, I learned it's based on a book by John le Carre.  So guess what book I'm starting today!!!  The first two episodes have aired in the US, with episode three being tonight at 10. My experience has been that books are usually much better than TV shows or movies based on the books, so I have high hopes for this one!  
Here's a trailer for the show in case you are interested!


Comments

  1. I've missed the mini-series, to my father's disgust - and I haven't read the book. Though I used to read John le Carre way back. How are you finding this one? Thank you for swinging by and sharing it. It looks like a good read!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm several chapters into the book now, and for once I think I actually prefer the TV show to the book. (I can't believe I'm saying that!) If I hadn't seen the TV show, I'm not sure I'd understand what's going on the book very well. The book bounces from present to past and back again. Don't get me wrong, I'm enjoying the book, but I'm enjoying the show much more (episode 3 aired last night!).

      Delete
  2. What a great opening! I wonder who the late guest is and what role the hotel manager plays in the Gulf War. If any? Thanks for sharing such a great teaser and for stopping by The Coffee Pot Review. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very intriguing I want to jump into the show too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. An interesting start. The opening linnes would definitely encourage me to continnue reading.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I didn't watch the beginning of this series. Missed it. Now I'll wait until it's done for the season and catch them all on Netflix.

    My TT from Onyx Webb

    ReplyDelete
  6. After watching that series I HAVE to read this novel. It was so good :D Fantastic teaser!

    My Teaser

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've been watching the series and now I really want to read the book!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love a book that has a good intro paragraph!
    Also, love Tom Hiddleston! Great teaser, thanks for sharing (:

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ahhh! I am super excited about this book/series. I need to read this one and your teaser at the beginning of the story really sets the stage! <3

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts