Decision Made....Asheville, NC!

I'm been thinking long and hard where I want to live after I retire in June.  I have decided that I'm going to move to Asheville, North Carolina after my lease expires later this year.  The cost of living in the DC area is very high, and I want to live someplace where I work if I want to, not because I feel like I need to.  I don't see myself ever quitting work completely.  But I want to be in a position where I don't need to work for money.

I've been doing research about Asheville.  They have a Petco, Rooms To Go, Haverty's, Panera Bread, and Bonefish Grill (a girl's gotta have her priorities straight!).  And I recently learned there's a Publix Supermarket opening in March. Publix is one of the few things I miss about Florida.  That in and off itself was almost enough to seal the deal for me!

I've also identified several potential volunteer opportunities in the realm of animal rescue.  I plan to join the Osher Lifelong Learning Institute that's affiliated with the University of NC - Asheville. There's also a community college that offers continuing education classes and certifications in such areas as web design.

Asheville has a botanic garden, a nature center, and an art museum.  And how could I have almost forgotten to mention the Biltmore Estate!  I had an annual pass when I lived in North Carolina before and even had it for a few years after I moved to Florida.  I see myself getting one again.

I have family relatively close by.  My step dad will be about 2 1/2 hours away.  My favorite aunt and uncle an hour away, and my favorite cousin about 45 minutes.  I like the idea of having support close by.  If I have a melancholy day, I can hop in the car and go for a visit.

The other location that made my very short list was Savannah, GA.  I still see myself possibly ending up in Savannah somewhere down the line.  A lot will depend on how well I gel with Asheville.  I plan to look for a rental initially, and see what happens from there.  Time will tell!

Comments

  1. Thank you so much for always stopping by our blog. Mom thinks Asheville sounds like a perfect place to live - hope the move goes well for you.

    Woos - Phantom, Ciara, and Lightning

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts