Hiking in Shenandoah National Park

Last Saturday, my friend Jennifer and I went hiking in Shenandoah National Park.  I was very excited to have an opportunity to take my new camera (a Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200) with me to hopefully get some pictures of wildlife.  I'm still learning how to use it, and definitely need to read the manual more than I have!

We met near the Big Meadows Lodge, and decided to hike the 3.3 mile Lewis Falls Trail.  We saw our first wildlife before we even made it out of the parking lot to the trail!




Then, we headed off to the find the beginning of our trail.  We passed the amphitheater where a ranger was giving a talk about an owl.


We didn't linger to listen to the talk because we were anxious to get started on our hike. 





The falls were on the small side, but there was a nice viewing area to see them from.  We rested a bit there before heading back.  One thing I liked about the hike is that it was a circuit hike instead of one way there and the same way back.  So we got to see something different heading back.





After we finished the hike, we had lunch at the picnic area near where we parked.  Then we decided to head for home.  As I was leaving the park, I stopped to take a picture of the entrance to the tunnel I had to drive through to get to the park exit.


I had a nice time, but Jen and I both agreed that it would be nice to find some place a bit closer to home for our next hike.  It took both of us over 2 hours to get there.  Needless to say, I was a bit tired by the time I got home!

Comments

Popular Posts