National Gallery of Art & National Mall

Yesterday at lunch a friend and I walked across the National Mall from our office to visit the National Gallery of Art. There is an exhibit there that closes tomorrow that I've been wanting to see, I just haven't quite made it there. Now I have!

The exhibit features works by both Edgar Degas and Mary Cassatt.  They knew each other and influenced each others work, which I never knew.  Pictures weren't allowed in the exhibit unfortunately.  Several of the works on display were by Degas, and they were portraits of Cassatt herself.

Pictures may not have been allowed there, but they are allowed in most of the rest of the museum.  So I took some pictures of a few of my favorite works!


I can never remember the artist's name, but this is one of my favorite pictures in the National Gallery of Art.  A girl is reading by what appears to be a brook.  I find a state of zen when looking at this painting.  I have a small copy of it framed in my apartment.


I also really like the large fountain that is located at the center of the museum.  Mercury rules!


On the way back to the office, I couldn't resist taking more pictures.  I haven't used my camera much recently and was starting to feel withdrawal pains!  Here I am with the Smithsonian Castle and Washington Monument in the background.


This is a picture of the Smithsonian Arts & Industries Building. It's had scaffolding all around it for years that was just recently removed.  I haven't been inside yet, but it's on my list!


And last but not least, I couldn't resist taking a close-up photo of this gorgeous rose.  I've always had a thing for flowering things which is ironic since I have a hard time getting much of anything green to grow.  Maybe that's why I'm so enamored by plants and flowers!


Comments

Popular Posts