Time Seems to be Flying By

Where does the time go?!?  This month has been very hectic and cram-packed, it seems.  Between work, school, and volunteering with both the Friends of the Duncan Library and the Animal Welfare League of Arlington, I feel stretched very thin.

The class I'm taking over the summer, Information Retrieval, is the toughest I've taken so far in terms of the amount of homework.  I've already turned in one 5-8 page paper and created a database (using EndNote, software I've never used before) this month, and still have one 20-30 page paper left to go before the end of the month.  Argh!  And that doesn't include the weekly discussion board posts and blog posts we are required to do on a blog created for the class.  Yes, I have a second blog I'm posting to, and as you can see by the frequency of my posts on this blog, it's getting the most attention.  Considering I'm getting graded on it, I think I have my priorities straight!

I have a lot of other things on my mind too.  I'm thinking more and more of the future and what it will hold after I finish my master's degree and retire from the Postal Inspection Service.  I am on schedule to graduate in May 2015, and to retire at the end of June 2015.  My lease isn't up until near the end of October 2015, so I'll have a few months in the DC area before I head back to North Carolina.

It's still a bit nebulous where I'll actually end up.  I've made a commitment to my dad that if mom is still living at home, I'll move in with them to help take care of her.  Sid has been a full time caregiver to her for over a year now (Alzheimer's), and deserves a break.  Being a full time caregiver is like having two full time jobs.  I keep trying to convince him to bring in some hired help, whether it's to help with mom or to help with household chores.  He isn't ready to commit to that yet, but will hopefully get to that point soon.  He keeps saying, in the summer.......  Well, summer is only about a week away.  I'll keep gently nudging in that direction and continue to offer to help financially.  I'm not sure what else I can do.

Mom is unfortunately not doing well at all.  The downhill progression seems to be increasing and I'm not convinced Sid will be able to continue to care for her at home.  If she isn't able to stay at home, I want to be somewhere close to her where I can visit regularly, and unannounced.  I've heard that those with regular visitors get better care, although I don't know the truth of that.

Today is Father's Day and I couldn't help but think of my dad, who died in 1989. He was 49 years old, the age I just turned earlier this month.  It makes me sad to think that he wasn't around to watch me grow up.  I like to think he'd be proud of me.  He used to say I was plenty book smart, but had no common sense.  And he was probably right at the time!  But I have definitely grown up a lot in the last 25 years, and like to think the common sense has come with the age.

Arthur Edison Walker, AKA Jimmy, AKA My Dad

Comments

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts